Tarsar Marsar Trek – The Trek of a Lifetime Experience

 Kashmir is an unfathomable emotion! The timeless beauty cradled in the region is enticing and has a soft spot in the hearts of all us trekkers. I had been meaning to revisit Kashmir for a long time before I actually pulled my socks up to execute the long awaited expedition to Tarsar Marsar Lakes. The last time I hopped onto the Tarsar Marsar Trek was a few years ago and while I was still new to the trekking world. Even though I was an amateur at trekking back then, I remember thoroughly enjoying the expedition and relishing the inexplicable, mind-boggling landscapes around.

This time, I figured the best time to execute the Tarsar Marsar Trek would be during the months of August and September while the monsoon is still crippling out and the weather is as refreshing as possible. So I jotted a crisp itinerary and leaped into the heaven of mountains and lakes to explore and devour the relentless glory of the region.

I managed to reach Srinagar by afternoon and left for Aru Base Camp situated on the banks of Lidder River soon after. It took 4 hours of swift drive through the divine and beauty-dripping regions of Pahalgam to reach the Aru Base Camp where I dined and rested for the night.

From the Aru Base Camp, I began the 10km trek to Lidderwat, the next day. It was a smooth, enchanting and calming experience. The trail was accommodating, evened out and extremely serene which made trekking enthralling. It took nearly 6 hours for me to reach Lidderwat upon maintaining a steady trekking pace. I halted at multiple places, mostly around streams to catch some breath, enjoy my packed scrumptious lunch and appreciate nature’s bounty. Upon reaching Lidderwat, I pitched in my tent and called it a day post dinner.

At Lidderwat, I woke up to a gasp-worthy sunrise and kick-started my day with the trek to Shekwas which lies at a distance of 5.5kms, perched at an altitude of 11,000 ft. The trek from Lidderwat to Shekwas was moderately easy; although initially the trail seemed like an unending ascent. I took almost 5 hours to cover the stretch and reached Shekwas around lunch time. The river crossing before Homwas was an interesting and fun experience. At Shekwas, I spent the remaining day exploring and hiking around. The alluring landscapes were thought provoking and truly to die for.

Excited to visit Tarsar, I woke up early at Shekwas; at this point the Tarsar Lake was just 5 kms away from my campsite and I was super excited for the trekking. The stretch between Shekwas and Tarsar Lake is slightly difficult with continuous gradual ascent. I carried sufficient water to remain hydrated and bravely complete the trek. In about 4 hours of steady trekking, I finally reached the Tarsar Lake situated at a height of 12,500 ft. It was as if time halted for a brief moment when I looked at the alluring teal-stained Tarsar Lake. With ridges, hills and carpets of soft,lush green grasses around, the Tarsar Lake appeared devastatingly beautiful and I was all in for it. I spent the rest of my day cherishing the spectacular scenery, dipping my feet in the fresh-cold lake and relishing nature’s music.

Next morning, I buckled up to trek towards Sundarsar which lies 5 kms away from Tarsar. The trail from Tarsar to Sundersar is the most thrilling, satisfying and wholesome part of the Tarsar Marsar Trekking expedition. I traversed the meadows of Shekwas that connect with the Sundersar Valley to reach the Tarsar Pass. The trail to the Tarsar Pass was steep and moderately difficult to trek upon which eventually evened out to a flat stretch and further into a gradual descent and unfolded into the Sundersar Valley. The exquisite landscapes encountered while trekking along this route made my heart brim with peace and a sense of accomplishment that I know I shall treasure for the rest of my life. After trekking past the Bakkerwal settlement, I reached the serene and fascinating site of Sundersdar Lake. I took my time to absorb the boundless beauty of the azure sky reflected by the lake and snuggled inside my tent pitched beside the lake, devastated by its captivating charmer.

Next morning, I woke up to a calm, enchanting and spectacular sunrise with the bright-yellow sun completely melted across the vast, blue sky. Overwhelmed, I freshened up and rolled my sleeves up to begin my trek to Marsar Lake which rests at an altitude of 13,400 ft. After nearly an hour of steady trekking along a gradual ascent, I reached the Marsar Ridge perched at a soul-stirring height. The wide panoramic views from the Marsar Ridge were surreal and drool-worthy. One can spot the glorious Marsar Lake from the Marsar ridge.

I thoroughly relished the enchanting beauty of the inky-blue lake and even remained transfixed by its bewitching beauty for a brief moment before I resumed my trek to Homwas. The trek from Marsar Lake to Sundersar Valley and further to Homwas passes along the same trails that were taken to reach the top. The descent along those trails made me nostalgic, I clenched back my emotions and trekked gradually to absorb the glamour of wilderness and appreciate its unfathomable grandeur. I called it a day at Homwas and resumed my trek to Aru Base Camp, the next day. The drive from Aru to Srinagar brought my Tarsar Marsar Trek to a successful end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tarsar Marsar Trek